(HELP) Translating New Heroes Legend

A forum for the translation project of the first Legend of Heroes game titled DragonSlayer: The Legend of Heroes.
apraxiumRum

(HELP) Translating New Heroes Legend

Post by apraxiumRum » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:00 am

It kinda feels funny posting in a empty project forum, just let me know if I am doing something wrong. :?
A few weeks ago I got my hands on a copy of 新英雄伝説 or Dragon Slayer: New Heroes Legend for the PC. After playing the PCENGINE version of the game, I looked into the game releases and found some charming stuff. Look it here Link.
After looking into the game text files, I said to myself: "Why not try and translate it?". Well, with some elbow grease, research and trial and error, google translate, very valuable help from romhacking.net and lots of chronic headaches, it starts:
ImageImageImageImageImage
All was taken with a camera, sorry.
Unfortunately, I didn't think through the whole needing to take maybe years of learning Japanese language.:oops: Anyone want to help me out? Translation text includes: (Locations, NPCs dialogue, Cutscenes text, Monsters names and scripts, and probably some mini-games in the process).
I'll take upon the job of putting the text in the files and crediting you in the game.
I await your inputs.
flamethrower wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 pm
These days usually when posting a request for translation of a whole game script, it's best practice to post the size of the script.
Working By this advice, and for the sake of being fair, here are letter counts of the text file groups of the game (including repetitions):
SCEN (All NPCs dialogue, on map events/cutscenes, all in separate files):140025 letter.
MONS (All Monsters & Bosses encounter text/moves/battle dialogue, all in separate files):4118 letter.
ED1_WIN.exe (The program itself, contain common messages, locations, items, Intro and Ending scenes' text, chapter prelude cutscenes, minigame dialogue):6144 letter.
Last edited by apraxiumRum on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: (HELP) Translating New Heroes Legend

Post by flamethrower » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 pm

These days usually when posting a request for translation of a whole game script, it's best practice to post the size of the script. See the following examples:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/translation ... st-6295459
https://geofront.esterior.net/2017/08/06/milestone-25/ (Look at the Nayuta part on the bottom)

I am busy with AnK project and I have like two other smaller projects lined up after that. You'll probably find someone interested before I get free.

If you have a thread on RHDN for your project, can you link it here?

apraxiumRum

Post by apraxiumRum » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up! That means I have a lot of work to do just to calculate the number of characters.
Though I am considering the RHND link thing, does a work that has only text contained within the software and SOME of the monster text translated deserves mention there?
I'll try looking into it. Maybe I'll find help that way.
Good luck with your projects!

ObiKKa

Post by ObiKKa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:51 pm

flamethrower wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 pm

If you have a thread on RHDN for your project, can you link it here?
Fortunately, I'm linking it here so you and others can see it, flame. I first saw it at RHDN a few days ago before I checked this new thread here just now.

Also, I'm glad that appraxiumRum has also posted the title screen here as I used that as proof of the Japanese PC's year of release date at the game's Wikipedia page. Those other shots are nice to see.
Editor at Datacrystal, regular user at RHDN & general romhacking/translation community. I also fix up errors and add info in several game pages at Wikipedia and Wikia (Yes, really).