Unchained Blades Exxiv

This is a place to post tech details and informative documents about romhacking PSP games.
flamethrower
Programmer

Unchained Blades Exxiv

Post by flamethrower » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Working on this.

It's a first-person dungeon crawl (FPDC) game by Furyu. It centers around eight characters, each trying to achieve their own goals and then coming together to overcome a great threat. An evolution of the game system seen in Unchained Blades Exxiv; things are slightly different this time.

Got the built-in VWF font working. It wasn't enabled for story scenes, and was enabled for every other scene. I got it working for the other scenes, it was just a function parameter (hard-coded) that I had to change. More details later if people are interested.

Also got working on a basic script dumper but not through quite yet. I did get the first script file dumped fully but I need to try some others.

There is a translator lined up for this one. I was hoping someone would figure out the VWF problem but I ended up doing it. I haven't reached out to them yet because I want to make sure I have the dumps right.
-------------------------------
Having a bit of difficulty with the battle text which uses a different draw algorithm than the rest of it.
When it's time to display text, it makes a texture, 512x512 pixels with 4bpp. Then it uses that same texture, unmodified, until different text needs to be displayed. The color table for this was just white with varying levels of transparency, so it seems like a color table for text. I found the entrance for the function that creates this texture too. I will post the addr later when I'm at home.

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Unchained Blades Exxiv

Post by flamethrower » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Battle text: change to wvf:
change 0883DE34 to li a3, -0x1.

Working on main menu screen menu items:
NPJH50648_00016.jpg
NPJH50648_00016.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Those items are loaded from:
data\yamanaka\sysmenu\mn_top_menu.gim

I tried deleting this file and the game will not even boot, so I'm pretty sure this is it.

I wrote my own program to dump this and here's the result:
output4.png
output4.png (8.74 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Now I need to edit and re-insert these...

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Unchained Blades Exxiv

Post by flamethrower » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 am

I got it!
NPJH50648_00017.jpg
NPJH50648_00017.jpg (42.01 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
I found this resource for .GIM file format:
http://pspdum.my.land.to/psp/gim.html