Games You Want to Do Someday

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
hollowaytape

Re: Games You Want to Do Someday

Post by hollowaytape » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:18 pm

I do think about hacking some version of Last Armageddon someday. It's an RPG set in post-apocalyptic Earth where you play as a team of demons/monsters battling with alien robots for supremacy of the destroyed world. All your monsters have branching paths of evolution where you swap DNA with other party members at various times, so at the end of the game you end up with a team of terrifying monstrosities. Bogleech did a roundup of some of the coolest demons in the game.

Looks like there are versions for NES, PC-88, MSX, PC Engine, and FM Towns. The NES one has a partial translation out but they gave up due to hard text compression. I looked at the PC-88 version and it looks like all the text is uncompressed Shift-JIS, so that's one less hurdle. The PC Engine version looks like the best, but it has the most text (there's a monster encyclopedia) and a bunch of voice acting, so it'd be the most work.

There's one thing that's stopping me - the overwhelming consensus is that this game is terrible!! Slow combat, terrible balance, huge and boring dungeons, etc. That's a shame because the concept is so cool.

Zoelius

Post by Zoelius » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Did anyone play Arcturus? It was sorta like a Grandia clone with a weird mind-f***ed story. I know a group that tried to translate it back several years ago and completely abandon project. Just wonder if someone here play it. I know the Japanese version was publish by Falcom.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:51 pm

HG101 for Arcturus: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/ ... m#arcturus

Good luck with that one. It looks quite like a kiseki game in appearance. I'm sure in script size as well :)