Games You Want to Do Someday

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
flamethrower
Programmer

Games You Want to Do Someday

Post by flamethrower » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Okay, we have plenty on the plate right now.
Nayuta is almost done. It will probably be the first game to be final.
Wander Wonder doesn't have that much work to do, it will probably be the second release by our group.
After that I'm not sure.

But that aside, what game(s) do you want a TL patch for?
Are you looking forward to releases of any in-progress TL patches?
Index of NDS Projects
Index of PSP Projects -I like this one better because it's categorized by project stage.

Do you want a separate thread for fan patches you think are good?

P.S. - Call me biased, but I think my Nayuta patch is one of the best on the PSP platform. The only one I can think of that's better is the Valkyria Chronicles 3 patch. That one was really well done, and it's a huge game too. There are other high-quality patches for PSP besides those two, but I'm just not that interested in the underlying games.

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Games You Want to Do Someday

Post by flamethrower » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 pm

There's two I want to see:
Blaze Union for PSP - It's a tactics game by Sting. I played about halfway through in Japanese. I wrote a request post at GBAtemp but never heard anything. This game uses CRIWARE middleware. There's an unpacker available, but I couldn't make any sense of the resulting files.

The other one I want to see is Dungeons and Dam for NDS, developed by Acquire.
You control a huge amount of characters and organize them into squads similar to an Ogre Battle game. You have some control over their activities too, but not direct control like you have in Ogre Battle. A dam allows the people of the town to live in the middle of the desert. But monsters are attacking the dam. If it's destroyed, it's game over!! You send parties of adventurers to either defend the town buildings, or to find and destroy monster portals within the dam. I couldn't beat chapter 1, probably because I don't understand Japanese.

TRUE STORY: This request post at GBAtemp is what got me interested in Nayuta. Not even joking.

I investigated Nanatama: Chronicle of the Dungeon Maker. Essentially Dungeon Maker 3, it's the sequel to Dungeon Maker Hunting Ground and Dungeon Maker II The Hidden War. It has support for fullwidth ASCII capital letters only. I don't know how to add support for regular ASCII characters. All of the text is in the EBOOT. My investigation ended there; I have no idea how to mess with fonts.

I investigated Zwei!!. The game doesn't have support for reading ASCII characters. The scripts are relatively easy to change, I thought. My investigation ended there.

The one I want to investigate next is R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate. It is an IREM game so it may be hackable similar to the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 game also from IREM that I worked on.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Fri May 01, 2015 3:55 am

PC

Code: Select all

Gagharv Trilogy (starting with White Witch)
Zero no Kiseki (also for PSP would be nice too, but I'd prefer the experience be with the better looking PC game. I plan to buy it from Falcom soon to help with Zero's project.)
Love Xanadu - (Though it hasn't been announced here just yet, we may be working with the developer to translate the next major version of the game in English.) 
Fantasia Sango / Genso Sangokushi
Zwei! -(tancients/Birds of a Feather is working on this.)
ZweiII - (tancients/Birds of a Feather is working on this.)
Legend of Heroes I
PC-98

Aiza: New Generation
Xak I: The Art of Visual Stage - (Xalphenos and I may try to figure out if we can insert the script from the MSX version (official English version) into the PC-98 version.)
Brandish II Renewal
Brandish III Renewal
PSP

Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 (Flame recently picked up this project to help get it going again) Never heard of the Disaster Report series, and now I'd like to try them out.)
Genso Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki (Apparently some people tried to translate this in 2012 but the hacker simply disappeared.) 
Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki
Princess Crown - (however Sam I Am from the PCEFX forum I believe is working on the Saturn version?)
Venus & Brave - (This game looks Bad.Ass.)
Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke (Oreshika 1)
DS

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (I think some folks have translated the menus, but... I want to edit the comics too!) Mmm..Graphics..)
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 (Graphics!..)
SNES

Xak I: The Art of Visual Stage
Popful Mail
That's my personal list so far. : )

-Thomas

zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Post by zeromonkey » Sat May 02, 2015 3:17 am

PC
Anything LoH related. Trails 3rd Chapter, Zero and Ao, Dragon Slayer LoH 1 and 2 (I think 2 exists but it will damn near impossible to find it)
Other random Falcom gems. They really do make the best RPGs for a PC that cater to my personal taste.

PSP
Genso Suikoden - I actually have been messing with this game as a break since it really doesn't matter to much
Criminal GIrls
Final Promise Story
Ghargav Trilogy - I want to fix the broken text and translate the missing dialog. I also want to play it with the original battle system.
Trails 3rd Chapter
Zero and Ao no Kiseki
Venus & Brave - This is another game I screw around with in my free time. This one might be tricky to do. Can't remember why, but didn't get far yet.
7th Dragon 2020 and 2020 II - See above comment :)
Unchained Blades 2

PSX
Dragon Slayer LoH 1 & 2 - Both games. 1 disc. What could be better. Oh yeah, figuring out how the text works. It crashes most emus with debuggers.

3DS
Dragon Quest 7 - My all time favorite game. Hands down. I love Dragon Quest games (even Rocket Slime).

SNES
Treasure Hunter G - I would love to fix this game. So many issues and I can't remember how metalhawk stored the text in the compression routine.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Sat May 02, 2015 3:32 am

My buddy lifeinanalog is actually working on the 3DS Dragon Quest VIII, as we speak. : ) I haven't talked to him in about a year, but I saw some screenshots of their progress and it's looking good.

-Thomas

zeromonkey

Post by zeromonkey » Sat May 02, 2015 4:09 am

IF they are the ones that you can find from searching 3DS Dragon Quest VII Translation, those are some good looking shots. To bad I won't be able to play it until an emulator comes out or something since my 3DS is updated all the time due the sheer amount of cheap games I have that I don't want to lose the ability to play.

AnthranDawn

Post by AnthranDawn » Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm

A series I've always loves is Summon Night. It has never seen the light of day besides the spinoff series Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. Although Summon Night 5 has been recently announced for localization for the PSP (which makes me immensely happy, btw).

My personal favorite is Summon Night 3, which has a PS2 and PSP release.
Feel free to add me on steam (it's where I'm most active)
Steam ID: AnthranDawn

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 pm

I like the Swordcraft story games better than summon night, probably because I like action games more. The only Summon Night game I played was the one for DS, Twin Age, which I didn't like very much because I thought the production value was too low.

I want to add to my list Nora & the Time Studio for NDS. BlackIris from GBAtemp is working on it: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nora-and-th ... on.393130/
Well reviewed here: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/nds/ ... trev1.html
I help out BlackIris but I'm busy with our projects.
It seems quite similar to Atelier Annie, also for NDS.

I would also like to add Dungeons & Dam to my list. I already TL'd the interface text. I'm not familiar with NDS games, but it appears standard techniques for working with NDS games will work. I think it had something to do with a standard font format that's used by many NDS games. It already includes a half-width font that looks good.
I started a GBAtemp thread for it.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/dungeons-and-dam.394501/
As per the other one, I'm busy with other projects at the moment.

zeromonkey

Post by zeromonkey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:25 am

HAHAHAHahahahahaha!!

My eyes are shot and it is really late but when I saw the name BlackIris, I thought it was a game called Black Girls. Don't know why that is amusing right now. My brain is like... wonder what the purpose of a game called Black Girls could be. I need sleep. Hopefully my delusional state didn't offend anybody. I'm going to bed.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:46 am

Okay, so yeah I'd by lying if there wasn't at least one more game that I definitely, absolutely want to work on outside of the projects already started or intended to be started. And that would be Dragon Half for PC-98. Not sure how many of you have already seen the anime, but if you haven't I highly recommend it if you enjoy parodies on RPGs and Video Games. The manga takes it even further as well with parodies on Zelda, Mario, Castlevania, Dragon Quest and many others.

Anyhow, I'm a huge Dragon Half fan and I have been since I first saw the anime back when it was first released on VHS (What are those!?!). I've even bought originals of the PC-98 and PC-Engine Duo games, both of which are very different. While they are both developed by Microcabin, the developer of the Xak series that I'm rather fond of, one is a RPG with card-based combat mechanics, and the other is a 4 player Board Game, with RPG elements and battles. They are both really cool, especially if you are a fan of the show and manga.

Anyhow, if you've not seen the show, I'd recommend you at least try it. It's really short, only 2 OVA episodes were ever made. Fortunately if you ever wanted to check out the show or manga, it's all in one easy to find spot: http://fantasyanime.com/anime/dragon-half

-Thomas

Zoelius

Post by Zoelius » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:32 pm

Ghargav Trilogy

I never bought the PSP versions due to the poor translation. But I am willing to give the game another go if the translation is at least readable.

As for projects, anyone wanna do Adventures of Little Ralph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax3n38JYESE

2d Platform RPG, with a little bit of dialogue.

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Zoelius wrote: As for projects, anyone wanna do Adventures of Little Ralph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax3n38JYESE

2d Platform RPG, with a little bit of dialogue.
I had no idea about this game at all, and I quite like what I see. I have never done PSX stuff before, but I'll give it a look nonetheless.

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:41 am

Okay,here is what I found so far:

PSX isn't too different from PSP (same ASM), and there are emulators with powerful debugging tools.
The game uses a custom text encoding,no SJIS.
ralphfont.PNG
ralphfont.PNG (6.14 KiB) Viewed 9484 times
It's quite simple.Characters are 12x12.
It follows a horizontal order,so number 0 would be the first character ( シ),number 1 would be ン.Each row has 21 characters,so number 21 would be the first character on the second row (お).

I have yet to find this font on the disc though,I got the capture from the emulator,that's why it looks stretched.
A custom table must be made in order to map the game's text to something we can edit.

Text (at least some) is found in MINIKID.bin,and uncompressed,we got lucky.

Zoelius

Post by Zoelius » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:32 pm

Sweet, I think this would be funny fun to do for something short. There is one problem with the game, you gotta beat it in 1 sitting. And the game is pretty tough. I guess YouTube let's play is the best way to check progress in the game without dying a lot lol.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Wahoo! Little Ralph is awesome! Great choice Zoelius!

I own a physical version of this and loved the game, but I also believe it can be downloaded and played of the Japanese PSN store for around $5.

-Thomas

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Okay,some additional progress.

I found the font file (or more like,files).
The opening has a different font texture,I guess they optimized it in order to load only the symbols used in each scene.

ralphfont.PNG
ralphfont.PNG (6.14 KiB) Viewed 9424 times
Therefore,we're going to have to handle multiple text encodings in order to get a dump of the text.
Otherwise,it seems to use common PSX formats,so at least they seem easy to edit.

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:26 pm

ralph2.PNG
ralph2.PNG (72.38 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
ralph1.PNG
ralph1.PNG (56.09 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Today I managed to load a custom font (well,it's actually the same font used ingame,but it loads the english characters too).
Text is gibberish because of the custom encoding I mentioned before. Seems we'll need 3 tables,one for the opening,one for the gameplay and the last one for the ending.

Sadly, Japanese OCR isn't reliable enough to automate the creation of these tables, so I'll need someone to transcribe them.
I'm wondering where I should move further discussion on this...

Also,back on topic, how text heavy are the Sorcerian games? I tried to play Sorcerian Original some time ago,but I got lost on the menus, I don't really know anything else.

Zoelius

Post by Zoelius » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Never played Sorcerian games before. But from the clips I see, I think it's as text heavy as an early Ys game.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:13 pm

You could move it to free talk, I think. There's no other place.
*takes deep breath*
シンニュウャ、ハッケ水道防犯ステムサドマお前がこの管理人オバールか?いや。ワはじゃチ…もろくジイめレディになんてク聞!モ~許さゴホア魔物たちらわれだ何知あ西砂涼ピラミるそ主けばきっとう助ぜ先橋近ぞせ長生しよロ減ガキみ世話必ず帰ねコノ関係者以外入セ会どダ通
*lets out breath*
Did you catch all that? Should I break it up into the different lines?
Not sure about the one after 砂

Sorcerian seems quite light on the text.
If we are doing Sorcerian, we should do Sorcerian Forever or Sorcerian Original because those have the best graphics.

Tom's Video of Sorcerian Forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFva68OFNWg
Ex Mortis Let's Play Playlist (Sorcerian for DOS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGyTqW3 ... apBsviMejq

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Oh,thanks, that was really helpful. Shame I found quite a few more font files (more than 10) hidden in other files.

Yeah,my idea was using Sorcerian Original,it should be easier than dealing with the original PC-88 games.

Sorcerian Forever is supposedly new content,but perhaps they share a lot of code,so I guess we can check it out too.

Edit:

Ah,never mind, from what I've read Sorcerian Original includes Sorcerian Forever levels too. Both of them seem to have the jerky scrolling anyway.

Edit again:
After checking myself, Sorcerian Original has smooth scrolling, unlike what I've read in some sites.