PC-98 for the West

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
tcaud

PC-98 for the West

Post by tcaud » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:16 pm

I'd really like to see more games translated into English for the PC-98. It's called "the Anime PC" for a reason... a review of MangaPark and Anime Planet shows that it had more original content created for it in the late 80s early 90s than there was for TV or manga in the same period. Japanese culture blends intellect with visual appeal in a way western culture can't seem to manage... the west needs it. However it's also very hard to understand and for this purpose we need more translated works which enable us to trace the meanings of the material backward to their roots.

The PC-98 is not easy to use. Even I, a 25 year veteran of MS-DOS, find it intimidating. Before we can expect people to be able to run these games, PC-98 DOS either needs to be translated, or there need to be accommodations made to take DOS out of the experience altogether. Self-contained HDD images of installed games which run on boot have been well received in the Amiga community, and would be very helpful here.

The technical side is also a problem. It's cumbersome to familiarize oneself with the PC-98 hardware. There should be a wiki for this purpose. The PC Game Programmers Encyclopedia would be a good place to start... could modify the addresses used in the west to reflect the assignments for the PC-98.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Re: PC-98 for the West

Post by SkyeWelse » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 am

So here's another shoutout to the PC-98 Discord community since I really think you'd thrive pretty well over there as pretty much anyone who has interrest in PC-98 games, hardware and translation is already very active there. There is a Brandish 2 PC-98 translation project by our staff members, Gu4n and Josejl who are also on Discord, a translator named Nana who stops by there who is working on several PC-98 games, there is the 46 OkuMen group which consists of HollowayTape, Kuoushi and myself who just finished our release of E.V.O. - The Theory of Evolution, and we are working on Rusty (a Castlevania clone of some notoriety), an RPG call Apareden, and an interesting stategic mech game called CRW: Metal Jacket. While our goal is to translate some interesting games, we do have a passion for this computer series and our goal is to make it easier for new PC-98 users to get into the hobby.

You may also want to talk with 98digger in terms of system specs and information. I know that he would very much like to make a PC-98 FPGA chip at some point.

As for community HDD images, I completely agree. There is one already for the X68000 (On version 4.0 now) and one called YADHI that was originally started by kobushi from Tokugawa forums. I've been also working on new sets of YADHI with added software and games organized by genre when I have time. I won't post the link here, but I will be more than happy to share the WIP of those distributions with you either via PM or over Discord.

I'm also a real hardware user btw as I prefer to test our translations on real hardware and purchase actual copies of the software if I can find them.

-Thomas

tcaud

Post by tcaud » Mon May 08, 2017 3:33 pm

One thing about Japanese productions is they have a tendency to be way more philosophical than the west. Where western designers usually just see their product as a tried and true means to an income, Japanese designers are like to see their work as their raison d'etre. If you've tried watching the Captain Harlock CG movie from a couple years back (was on Netflix last time I checked) then you may have noticed it's really fast paced and the script rather light on details and nuance. But if you turn on the closed captioning, it becomes apparent that spoken dialogue has been westernized heavily... the captioning reflects a literal translation which accurately captures the personalities of the characters. Literal translations aren't bad if they manage to convey ideology apart from standard Western fare (excuse me, I should say "Post-Reagan fare" because western media wasn't always this mindless). I noticed that in the case of Rusty the translators only made use of 2/3 of the space for the script. (see http://46okumen.com/2017/02/17/what-abo ... /#more-404 ). I wonder why they tried to cram dialogue instead of just moving the whole game to a standalone HDD image. (something players would have preferred anyhow). Really with 1/3 of the script gone I'm wondering how much of the plot survived.

kuoushi

Post by kuoushi » Mon May 08, 2017 4:31 pm

tcaud wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 3:33 pm
I noticed that in the case of Rusty the translators only made use of 2/3 of the space for the script. (see http://46okumen.com/2017/02/17/what-abo ... /#more-404 ). I wonder why they tried to cram dialogue instead of just moving the whole game to a standalone HDD image. (something players would have preferred anyhow). Really with 1/3 of the script gone I'm wondering how much of the plot survived.
That's just a misunderstanding of what that post was trying to say. The full Rusty script was translated and reinserted. We didn't cut anything. The post you linked is a progress report saying that 2/3rds of the text was able to be reinserted at the time since hollowaytape figured out how to hack the display routines for the in-game text displayed before and after boss fights, specifically. The last 1/3rd of the text was in visual cutscenes and menus, which we also figured out how to properly display after that post went up. It was just a progress report of our current status with the project at the time.

So in response to your hypothetical at the end, all of the plot survived.