Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Hail

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Hail

Post by zeromonkey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Well after a few months of trying to get an internet connection established, I"M BACK! So wanted to drop a line to let everybody know that I have not fallen off the face of the earth. Will resume game work in a few days after I get the place up and running. Moving SUCKS!

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Hail

Post by flamethrower » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:46 pm

Where do you live now? Not that I'm trying to stalk you or anything. Still TN?

zeromonkey

Post by zeromonkey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Southwest Virginia. You make a right turn at the middle of nowhere and drive till you completely lose any sense of direction. Then you are still 2 hours away from where I live. (Not really but it seems unless you live right in a town here, you get absolutely no special privileges (like a high speed internet connection). I'm on a 3 meg DSL now. Hell of downgrade from the 1 gig line I used to have for a while.

But my son already has a aide assigned to him and the begin next week working together so they are comfortable with each other before the school year starts. I've been busy with getting our new cattle operation up and running is mainly why I have not been around. I knew a guy up here who was selling about 2000 acres of land that was perfect for beef cattle and after sell of land from the feed operation, we had money to spend on the new venture. Yep, that in a nutshell is what I have been busy doing.

NightWolve

Post by NightWolve » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:08 am

Setting up a cattle operation, eh ? Not something I expected to find reading about here... ;)

zeromonkey

Post by zeromonkey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:44 pm

Right!

Most people would probably figure me to be some dude living in his mom's basement and beating off to a show like Strike Witches (or something similar).
Spoiler: show
Don't take offense people. It is just a joke and playing on the stereotype that people who like anime and video games are degenerates.
I'm not a farmer in the typical sense. I handle the business side of things. Like managing shipments, monitoring prices, dealing the public relations (permits and bullshit of the sorts) and just whatever the fuck I am needed to do. I also work on the machines when everybody is busy or I just want to get out from behind the desk (which right now, is not a hell of a lot because it is humid as a motherfucker here right now). I keep everything going.

The family I work for originally did dairy farming about 25 years ago and stopped when the bottom fell out of it. They converted to chicken and feed farming then. I started about 10 years ago with them since I have known them all my life and they know that I am the only person close by with a business degree that doesn't cheat and steal. About 5 years ago, we were approached by NS with a bid of 5 million dollars for a large chunk of the land we were working. They wanted to set up a rail yard there since it was a very important piece of track. So important that trains ran back to back through there about every 15 minutes. We had our own local repair crews that were set up in the town and they were constantly replacing the lines. No joke. The boss decided he wanted to try beef cattle before he retired and it started from there. Volvo caught wind of the pending negotiations and wanted to use access to the rail yard. Offered a bid of 1.5 million for a piece that would give them access to the rails. After buying out a few stubborn neighbors and the two companies getting the money together, we sold them the tracts they wanted. We kept over half of it but everybody is happy (they are even throwing in our own loading dock for heavy machinery as a thank you gift). They boss is now even richer and I am now in VA getting ready to go full scale longhorn and Angus. We have the longhorns and waiting for the Angus deal to go through. I just hope he doesn't decide to import some cows from Kobe because I will already be up to my neck in bullshit before the year ends. LOL!

So yep, that is a rough outline of the shit I do. On top of that, my son finally gets to go back to school after 2 years!! I'm excited. FREE TIME FOR DADDY!