What happened to video game trailers?

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

What happened to video game trailers?

Post by zeromonkey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:41 pm

This is something I have been wondering for years. What happened to video game trailers? I mean they are still around and such. But they are mostly some stupid shit (my opinion) like a music video that shows absolutely no aspects of the actual gameplay. Some dancing person or the newest hit song in Japan isn't gonna make me want to spend my money and time on a game. I want to know what I am playing. What's other people's thoughts on this subject?

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: What happened to video game trailers?

Post by flamethrower » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:02 pm

Step One: Don't preorder games.
Except for Legend of Heroes series, feel free to preorder those because they'll probably be good.
I mean, this site is called Heroes of Legend, so I have to say that, right?
Anyway, I preordered Cold Steel. I didn't have any regrets.

Amazon had pre-order price guarantee. For all customers, not just Prime members.
But now, they have pre-order discount program only for Prime members. 20% off: All preorders, and all games within 2 weeks of release date. Console games only.
1) Wait for reviews. Most are available on release day.
2) If good, order game at 20% discount.
Everybody wins except publishers who don't goose reviewers enough :)

NightWolve

Re: What happened to video game trailers?

Post by NightWolve » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:30 am

I hadn't noticed if they've been on the decline or not. Last one that I remember was for Mortal Kombat X. One of them might've been a cheap tease just promoting the return of Goro ("Goro Lives!!!") and what not but I think you did have one demo'ing gameplay. They did go all out for this one, e.g. by my home at a Jewel grocery store, there was a poster at a bus stop for the game... First time I saw a videogame get a spot normally reserved for movies or other products. Of course Midway started in Chicago and the makers are still here post-bankruptcy so that ad campaign was local and it promoted the game as a Chicago product (for better or worse, heh).