Video Game Expectations

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Video Game Expectations

Post by zeromonkey » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:57 am

So I picked up a few new games to try out (well I found out a friend had some I didn't and borrowed them). I'm a pretty huge Shin Megami Tensei fan. I have played probably 90% of the games and I tend to get touchy when people half ass work on them. I had been wanting to try out Soul Hackers (3ds) and my friend had it. I'm no stranger to these types of games, but this one for some reason just seems to suck to me. I don't know if it is the lack of dialog or what. It is just stale. It Shin Megami Tensei people... games that almost have no boundaries except for their portrayal of deities that may not be flattering. They almost always have a minimum teen rating but more often come closer to mature. It is amusing though when the girl becomes possessed in the beginning. I probably won't finish it though and can understand why it took so long to bring over to the west.

I also borrowed Fantasy Life and Lord of Magna (not very far in this game - still up in the air). These are cute little games. I think Fantasy Life really lacks in the real story line department but makes for a good game in terms of crafting stuff. I'm almost done with it. Lord of Magna needs to pick up the pace but really needs to put more content in the chapters. Sounds funny doesn't it. It's like chapter 2 I think... (Hey, she's sick... I'm going to the cave... meet girl... use bracelet... end of chapter). I probably shouldn't say much though, Fantasy Life's chapters are really short to if you don't wonder around aimlessly looking for crafting materials. You can literally talk to 4 people and progress the story to the next chapter. Yep.

Just thought I would make a post about playing video games.

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Video Game Expectations

Post by flamethrower » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:45 am

I am looking for an interesting concept at least.
Lord of Magna doesn't sound interesting to me. That not XSEED or Hatsuu's fault, or maybe it is their fault, but only for picking up the game for localization. The original game just isn't that fun. Although it's well localized, it still struggles.

Basically all of XSEEDs stuff I like is Falcom stuff, so I guess I just like Falcom stuff. The only one I liked that wasn't Falcom was Little King's Story (Wii).

I've been spending too much time working on projects and not enough playing videogames, I think.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:19 am

For RPGs, it takes a lot for me to stay on track with finishing a game especially. I simply don't have the time that I used to for RPGs, so the ones I play need to be damn good or really appeal to me.

RPGs I'm playing currently are:

Ys Celceta - PS Vita
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U
Trails in the Sky - PC
Bravely Default - 3DS
Crimson Shroud - 3DS
Brandish - PSP/PS Vita
Shin Megami Tensei IV - 3DS
Makai Toshi Saga (WSC) - Remake of the GB version)
For the Frog the Bell Tolls - GB
Ys V - Sand City of Kefin - SNES

Like Flame, I'm not interested in most of what XSEED publishes outside of Falcom games. That being said, I did recently play through Corpse Party - Rebuilt which was based on the PC-98 original and also Corpse Party Zero. I really liked them and I thought they were legitimately pretty scary games for being made with an RPGmaker program. XSEED released 3 other Corpse Party games for PSP and PS Vita, so I'll pick those up one day when they are on sale.

-Thomas

zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Post by zeromonkey » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Playing a bunch of games lately trying to get a feel for good story telling. It's hit and miss.

Sky,
If you haven't beat Bravely Default yet, it will drag on in the later half of the game but the little windows of dialog you get, in my opinion, really help with the story. The extended ending sequence isn't bad either. SMT IV is a game I still haven't beat yet. I keep getting to points that I don't play for a few months and forget what I was doing. Then I start over... I think I am on restart 4 now. Bur i do enjoy those power up DLC I got for the game. "This quest might be to hard for you". HA.. I was doing them as soon as I could even choose my quests. Now I have level 50 demons in the original ones you pick up and they make me laugh when I beat the piss out of much stronger enemies. I play it like Pokemon. Got to catch them all!

Gu4n

Post by Gu4n » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:11 am

I thought Shin Megami Tensei IV was a bad Shin Megami Tensei trapped in a good game, which made it really hard for me to review it at the time. It's really well-made and fun to play, but the setting and story are so lacklustre in comparison to other games in the series.