Love Xanadu

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
flamethrower
Programmer

Love Xanadu

Post by flamethrower » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:38 pm

How is Love Xanadu doing? I mean, how are the devs doing on it? Are they ready for our help?

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Re: Love Xanadu

Post by SkyeWelse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:55 pm

I haven't talked with the developer in while, but I'm still quite interested in the project. I just didn't want for us to take on too much since I've not had a chance to really work on Wander Wonder too much yet.

I can certainly ask the developer though to seen when he expects for version 3.0 to be released and if that is intended to be the final version for awhile.

-Thomas

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:56 am

So I heard back from Show Zama from 727 Not Hound and got the latest update with the project.

What started off as Love Xanadu and then Love Xanadu version 2, and then was going to be Love Xanadu 3.0 with the 3.0 representing the 30th Anniversary of Xanadu has been retooled completely it seems and is still in development. They now plan to call the game Sanxen Xanadu or 3000 Xanadu and even made a pretty cool logo for the new game. If I read his recent reply correctly, I believe he said that players will have the ability to make their own Xanadu levels if they wanted, which sounds to me like he's including a level editor in this version. Also, some of the art that was in the public domain to use for games such as the ones below are going to be updated with more original artwork from another 727 Not Hound team member and artist named Yunco.

Here's some images from Love Xanadu, Yunco's artwork and the new logo.

Love Xanadu 2.0

Yunco's Xanadu / Revival Xanadu Art:

Xanadu Art 1
Xanadu Art 2
Xanadu Art 3
Xanadu Art 4
Xanadu Art 5
Xanadu Art 6
Xanadu Art 7
Xanadu Art 8
Xanadu Art 9
Xanadu Art 10
Xanadu Art 11

Sanxen Xanadu Logo

-Thomas

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:09 am

So a few days ago I visited Akihabara in Japan and met with Show_Zama-san and his girlfriend Yunco-san. They are both big Falcom fans and we're able to talk more about Love Xanadu's progression into the new title Sanxen Xanadu, as well as their next project, an all new Faxanadu game "Gya-Xanadu" or "Galaxy Xanadu" which I'm also very excited about.

I explained to him that what I liked most about Love Xanadu was that it seemed like a modern adaption of the classic Xanadu exploration formula that would appeal to both old and new audiences I think. The game is also quite difficult and to this day, I think only 3 people in the world had ever finished it completely. So the challenge factor is there as well for those like myself who enjoy tough games.

He told me he began to see some series like Etrian Odyssey were doing to give the classic game play of Wizardry a new coat of paint and he wanted to do the same with Xanadu and do it for the 30th Anniversary of the game. That was the story behind his concept behind why he decided to create the game in the first place. Not sure how many of you all have played Tokyo Xanadu, but even though it was released for the 30th Anniversary of Xanadu, it plays nothing like Xanadu and is really it's own thing. Not even the theme of Xanadu, "La Valse Pour Xanadu" is found in the game. Not even a big fight with a King Dragon, which is what exists in all other Xanadu games such as Xanadu, Xanadu Scenario II, Xanadu Next and even the final boss of Ys. Vs. Sora no Kiseki (as the game takes place in Xanadu). The only thing that shares a connection apparently from what they told me is the inclusion of the sword known as the "Vorpal Blade". That's it.

So for real fans of the original Xanadu series, this game is really the true spiritual sequel I think and worthy of having a translation. I showed Show_Zama-san how we normally tend to work using Google docs, and how one column would be Japanese and how another column would be used for an English translation, so that will likely be the format that we receive the script in hopefully. Then we just really need to find interested translators. I know Flame had expressed some interested in this before, but I'm not sure if that offer still stands. I could also look into it as well, even though my Japanese studies are now only slightly better than they were a year ago. I am continuing my studies still. The good news is that I don't think there really is a lot of text with this, only some story, shop keeper information, menus and items mainly.

Show_Zama-san thinks that he might be completed around June or July of this year perhaps, but is not certain about that. Then depending on where they are at, they may start development of Gya-Xanadu next, which will most likely play like Faxanadu, which is a sidescrolling action-RPG.

-Thomas