Windows 10

Feel free to chat about anime, manga, light novel or games here (or anything really of interest).
Xalphenos
Wanderer

Windows 10

Post by Xalphenos » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:25 am

I know this was talked about briefly in the shoutbox and I normally don't cross post between forums but we need more free talk here.

So anyone else upgrading to Windows 10?

Usually I approach new Operating systems with a bit of reservation. But for some reason my laptop popped up saying it was ready to install win 10 last night. I wasn't planning on doing it and had only signed up for the upgrade on my old desktop. My Desktop still says it's waiting and I wanted to try it out so I figured what the hell.

Bottom Line up Front: I like it. It's definitely an upgrade from 8/8.1 IMO. Everything about it feels better. It's still too early to tell if I like it more than 7 but I at least like it as much as 7.

This laptop is ancient so like I said I wasn't planning on upgrading it. It's an Acer Extensa 4620z. Intel 965 chipset so dick all for graphics and originally 2gb ram and a Pentium dual core 1.4ghz. Needless to say it was crap. But I upgraded some things. Swapped out the processor for a 2.4ghz core 2 duo and upped the ram to 4 GB about a year ago. Also Installed windows 7 and it turned into a pretty nice laptop. And since upgrading to 10 I haven't noticed any performance hits.

The only problem I experienced with the upgrade was with windows chosen WDDM version of the GMA 965 driver. There where no glaring problems after the upgrade and it wasn't until I went to play ppsspp on it that I discovered the problem. All of a sudden it didn't work anymore. It kept telling me my opengl version(1.1.0) wasn't high enough. I looked online and the GMA965 supports opengl 1.5. And it worked before the upgrade. So I went to Intel's website and downloaded the latest Win 7 drivers and installed them. Despite the warning that the already installed version was newer the older drivers restored my opengl performance.

A minor problem I just noticed today is that Applocale no longer works in 10. It hasn't been officially supported since Vista I think and it seems that now it is no longer an option. I've moved on to some other program to make up for it.

Beyond that I'm completely happy with the upgrade. And will be upgrading my main rig which I hadn't been planning on doing.

zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Re: Windows 10

Post by zeromonkey » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:45 pm

The applocale thing is so far, about the only problem I have come across with 10. Some games like LoH 1 won't install (yet) but other than that, it is pretty good. Boots fast and it doesn't seem to get bogged down with pointless stuff as much. 7 was a huge upgrade over vista and I think Microsoft could finally be headed in the right direction with their OS. Time will tell though, since it hasn't even been a full 30 days since I installed mine.

neoxephon

Post by neoxephon » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:42 pm

I've been using it for maybe 3 weeks, so far. And I like it. It's fast and the UI is clean. I'm looking forward to some DirectX 12 games coming out, so I can see first hand if it's going to be as good as they have said it will be.

One problem that I am having is it sometimes wakes up from sleep, when it shouldn't be. I usually put my PC into sleep mode during the night. I didn't have this problem when I was using Windows 7. I suppose I'll have to investigate to find out what is causing it to wake.

Xalphenos
Wanderer

Post by Xalphenos » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:24 am

@zero yeah It kind of sucked about the applocale thing. That's a tool I've been using for a long long time. If you are interested I found locale emulator and it works a treat. I actually kind of like it better. You can run games in different locale via a right click context menu.

@neo I'm pretty far out of the loop with games so I don't know much about direct x 12. So far I've had no problems with sleep or anything. My wireless adapter seems to be a bit flaky though after waking up from hibernation. It's fine any other time but when it resumes it just wont connect. I have to right click the wireless icon and "troubleshoot problems". That fixes it really quickly and then it's not a problem anymore until the next time I hibernate it. I can see this getting annoying eventually so when I get some time I'll properly look into and see about a permanent fix.

Alright time for round 3 and 4.

Round 3 was a HP 2000 Laptop. It's a piece of crap based on the AMD E2 vision. I forget the exact processor but it's a 1.7 ghz dual core. In some ways it's an ok laptop. The graphics core in the APU actually makes some low end gaming a possibility but only barely and the weak CPU makes it quite sluggish. But the system runs cool and has excellent battery life. It's so slow in fact that when it finished the download and actually started installing I started the download for round 4 and round 4 finished, ran windows update, and installed chrome by the time round 3 was 51% complete.

Anyway another smooth installation overall. Performance is certainly no worse than it was before. But I haven't had the time to really test it out since it took so long to update. But it did get rid of that tablet smell 8/8.1 had. When it completed it actually prompted me to download and install the latest catalyst drivers which unfortunately came with what looks to be AMDs attempt at a steam clone. But at least Windows knew it didn't have the best driver in this case.

Round 4 was the one I actually signed up to get the upgrade on. It was my old gaming desktop which had the GPU removed and turned into the family desktop. So as it stands right now it is an AMD 890GX platform with a Phenom II X6 1100T CPU (3.3 GHZ) and the on board hd 4290. This one went a little differently. Since round 3 started downloading windows 10 as soon as I clicked reserve I got impatient with my old desktop. Per the FAQ I downloaded the media creation tool to start the process without waiting and outside of windows update. To end up with an activated windows 10 you're supposed to use the "upgrade this PC Now" option. Which skips the "what do you want to keep" option and just does an Upgrade keeping your files and settings. Well It failed on me and reverted back to windows 7. I was away from the computer so I'm not sure why but I looked up the error message and basically didn't get much. I tried a few things that were suggested on the internet, from Microsoft, and tried again. This time I stuck around. What really sucked is that it has to download the whole windows 10 upgrade again. Well this time it got to about 33% and failed again. There was a quick hint at the problem being an ATI driver. Then reboot into windows 7. I was pretty pissed.

So I did some more research and found that there were problems with the 4290 during the Technical Preview. Apparently, Like the GMA965, it wasn't supported at all at some point. Not sure if that was my problem as it is supported to some degree now. Anyway third times a charm right. This time I download the windows 10 upgrade again using the media creation tool. And on the stage before it starts to install where it gives you your settings summary Under the "keep everything" tab was the option to change it. I set it to keep nothing. I was a little worried about activation with this option as everything I had read suggested that you needed to do the standard upgrade first, wait for windows to activate, and then reinstall windows, or reset if you wanted a clean install. This time Windows 10 was successfully installed. And after loading up and connecting to the internet windows activated without problem.

I doubt the GPU drivers windows installed are anywhere near good but my brother is sending me his old HD 5770 so I'm going to wait until I install it to install amd drivers. But so far no further complaints. When I wake up it's time for the Main rig.

neoxephon

Post by neoxephon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:32 pm

Xalphenos wrote:@neo I'm pretty far out of the loop with games so I don't know much about direct x 12.
It's supposed to give huge performance increases for games that are developed to support it. That's with most recent GPU and full support is available only on Windows 10. Performance improvements without having to buy a new GPU, I'll take it.

zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Post by zeromonkey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:03 pm

That new locale tool works NICELY! It even does menu stuff outside of the program (like the close button), which will be helpful when I get to the exe file. Nice find Xalphenos.

NightWolve

Post by NightWolve » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:59 am

Upgrading on a 16GB tablet is tricky, anything smaller will definitely be a problem, but it can be done. You need at least 9GB free diskspace for it to go smooth, if not, you'll get that legendary Microsoft error message box of "Something happened" before it shuts down and forces you to redownload all 3-6GB of the installer files... Heh. I went through this about 4-5 times before I got my Windows 8.1 key upgraded and could then do a clean install.

Now doing a clean install is where I personally went wrong... You need to find a good freeware app that backs up all your existing drivers if you're interested in wiping the partition clean and doing a fresh install. The benefit when it came to my 16GB tablets is that I can free the 4GB the manufacturer allocated for a recovery partition. By deleting all partitions and letting the Windows 10 installer start fresh, you'll have that extra crucial space available and you'll just have to buy a 4GB or 8GB external memory stick to serve as an emergency/recovery solution.

Double Driver is one such free driver backup app for those that would be willing to try a clean install. If you mistakenly skipped this driver backup step, as I did, you'd have to track down the manufacturer's driver pack because Windows 10 is obviously not gonna have universal drivers for everything... When it's upgrading, no problem because it imports all your existing drivers that it doesn't have a Windows 10 replacement for... But yeah, in my case, I needed to track down the Intel Driver pack for Z3000 Atom CPUs and that saved the day, but I caused myself quite a bit of grief before finally finding the proper one...

So while I did a clean install successfully on my 7" Winbook tablet, my 10.1" 32GB tablet has a slight bug when it comes to audio.... The headphone jack is suffering from reversed operation, meaning, I have to plug in a 3.5mm headphone plug for the tablet's speakers to activate... When I pull the plug out, it's switching to headphone mode, so no audio will play from the speakers... I spent many hours trying to fix this, but so far I can't...

I'll also mention that the VideoLAN video player is operating slower on my tablets after this upgrade.... It worked fine when they were running Windows 8.1, but it's not liking Windows 10... It'll crap out, stall, slow to a crawl with graphical glitches after a certain while... Media Player Classic and the default Microsoft video players work fine it appears, but I like VideoLAN best as that always had the best picture quality - video was always less pixelated than say Media Player Classic. I'll see if a Windows 10 approved update helps down the road, but for now I have to use MPC.

NightWolve

Post by NightWolve » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:42 pm

FYI to anyone on Windows 7/8/8.1, end of July is when the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer officially ends, so you have about a week left.