.GDT Image Format

A project for the PC-98 version of Enix's 46 Okunen Monogatari - The Shinka Ron (4.6 Billion Year Story - The Theory of Evolution). You can think of this game as the grandfather of the SNES game E.V.O. The Search for Eden (To Distant Eden).
hollowaytape

Re: .GDT Image Format

Post by hollowaytape » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Feel free to squash the commits however you please - I know there's a ton.

I think for most of the title images, the current encoder will be good enough (with some trial and error if there's color smearing). But currently the GDT that the encoder produces from the main game title screen is 19kb in size; we need it to be 16kb or less. The shape is pretty irregular, but it looks like a lot of blue, cyan, and white are involved, so the encoding method that repeats the previous plane with XOR additions might be a good idea to implement.

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:25 am

SkyeWelse wrote:Yep, just let me know what type of format you would like to have the graphics file in and the bit size and I can work on some images.
Hey, have you found any time to work on this image? No rush or anything, I just wanted to check in.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:48 am

Sure, I've completed a PNG and 16-Color BMP. I was not sure how to go about converting it to the needed 3-Bit BMP needed for your conversion tool.

PNG
46om-chapter-1.bmp
46om-chapter-1.bmp (500.05 KiB) Viewed 12632 times
BMP
46om-chapter-1.png
46om-chapter-1.png (753.22 KiB) Viewed 12632 times
Please let me know how these work out.

-Thomas

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Wow, this looks great!

My encoder is unfortunately not handling it very well. It reinserts just fine if I use a black-and-white version, but I'm clearly doing something wrong with handling different color planes. I'll need to go back and try implementing one of the plane-copying methods, hopefully that will work better.

I'll hopefully be back with some progress soon.

Edit: I got lucky and got it working! I implemented the 0x10 "copy previous plane" encoding method, and I guess that's what it needed.

Unfortunately the scanlines (which anex86 handles by just repeating the line above) make the bottom text hard to read, and distort the top text more than I'd want. I moved the bottom text down one pixel and it looks better:

Do you have any other fonts you could use for these two that might stand up better to having every other pixel-row ignored?

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Cool! Glad to see it works well in the game. Yeah I agree with you that we need to find a better solution for the Top and Bottom texts. I'm pretty happy with how the Middle text turned out though! That's certainly the more difficult one to achieve. Sure, I'll mock up a couple of new ones. Did you end up using the PNG or BMP? That will help since I'll just export that one format instead of both of them.

Edit: The dark blue highlight on the top text that was in the original PNG you posted doesn't seem to be showing as the same color. It looks like it is using #0167fe instead of #0000ff which was just straight-up blue. #0167fe is used as the Middle Text fill color. If you can't get it working to use #0000ff, that's cool, but I usually try to keep things as close to the original as possible if I can.

-Thomas

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:06 pm

You're right about that blue being different... it seems like the game's palette is indeed 3-bit, but the final colors that get displayed are a bit different from the #000000, #ff0000, #00ff00, #ffff00, etc. that you'd expect.

As far as I know, this is the game's palette:

#fe6701 (burnt orange)
#01dc01 (green)
#0167fe (greenish blue)

#01dcfe (cyan)
#dcfefe (off-white)
#dc01fe (purple)
#fedc98 (peach)

#000000 (black)

In light of that, it seems like PNG might be a better idea if you want to work with these in-game colors.

I will avoid posting 16-bit BMPs from now on, since it was confusing to include one when its colors are pretty misleading.

Edit: I get the same color palette showing up in Neko Project II as I did in anex86, so I am reasonably sure this isn't just a specific emulator thing either.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:42 am

How does these new fonts look with the scanlines? I tried to take that into account and make the text a little thicker to compensate some pixel lines that may not be seen.

-Thomas

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:38 am

Reinserted just fine, and definitely looks better. What do you think?

The i's look like l's, but I moved the bottom text down one pixel and they look better like so:

...hmm, I think the rest of the letters look better in the before version. I might go in and move the i's down a pixel and leave the rest of the text, if we decide to go with this font in the end.

Do you have any wider-squiggling tildes you could use in the bottom text?

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:55 am

Still not real wild about how the Chapter One looks. It's passable, but I feel it could be better. Is there any chance I could get access to the conversion tool you are running this through so I could insert it and test it in Neko Project II directly to play with it some?

I moved the bottom text down one pixel and added the original Japanese tildes, since the others aren't really looking like tildes anymore.

Try this one:

http://retro-type.com/46_okunen_monogat ... pter-1.png

-Thomas

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:47 am

Sure! It'll definitely be easier if you can get your hands on it. I am using a fork of M-bot's CompileTools. Let me figure out how best to get it to you - I'm not totally familiar with distributing C# apps.

In the meantime, here's that last image:

Edit: Here's the CompileTools release that works on these images. It's very finicky still, so here's what I recommend doing:

0) Download CompileTools-Hbeta.zip and extract it somewhere.
1) Crop the image from the bottom and right sides, since they are just black anyway. Make sure the height is an even number. (The ones I've reinserted have been about 546x246.)
2) Save the image as a 256-color bmp, with the name "TITLE1."
3) Open a command prompt and navigate to wherever you extracted CompileTools, then navigate to CompileTools.CLI/bin/Release.
4) Run "./CompileTools.CLI.exe".
5) Run "convert TITLE1.BMP gdt".
6) Hopefully it won't crash or anything. Now place the newly created TITLE1.GDT in the B2 disk with DiskExplorer, and hopefully the image will display right after you skip the game intro.

Let me know if I missed anything or you want any more help.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:11 am

Thank you very much for detailing the process and a a big thanks to M_bot for figuring it out and adding it to his Compile Tools build!

I'll try and play around with it more when I get some more images, but honestly, I'm pretty pleased with how that last image looks now when displayed in the game. What do you think? If you are good with it, I can use this PSD as the template for the other chapters going forward. Just need to know the images and the translation and I can make the rest of them.

Here is the PSD file for it just for good measure.

-Thomas

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Yeah, it looks good to me too! That template should work well.

Looks like kuoushi finished translating the rest of the title text, and in doing so he gave Chapter One a different translation.

Prologue
Creation
~Life Awakens~

Chapter One
Oceanic Era
~The Evolutionary Journey~

Chapter Two
Forestation Era
~The Green Hymn~

Chapter Three
Superstar Era
~The Light and Dark of Space~

Chapter Four
Dinosaur Era
~The Coming Devastation~

Chapter Five
Phantom Land Era
~The Lost Period~

Chapter Six
The Holy War Era
~The Final Confrontation~

Epilogue
Space Era
~A New Journey~

Thanks again! Let me know if you have any questions or want any feedback.

There's also the starry title screen itself, but I'd like to spend some more time on the codec before I ask you to draw up any sort of image for it. It's complex enough that it will probably need some more encoding methods to fit under the 16kb limit.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:07 am

Okay, all chapter graphics are done now. We just need to see how they look in the game and make any adjustments as needed.

No worries on the Title Screen graphic. Please just let me know when it is Ret-2-Go!

Individual Chapters:

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Epilogue

-Thomas

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:25 am

Sweet! Very cool to see them all coming to life.

Did you by any chance make the top Chapter and *logue text a bit smaller? It's not looking as good in the new ones as last time.

Other than that, I think the middle text is looking great. The bottom text looks great as well, except for a few letters (u, r, n). I might try shifting those up or down a pixel and see if they work any better.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:35 am

Yep, I did modify the text size of the top text since I thought it was a little too large. However, since that makes the text harder to read in the game, I made them larger again.

These are now updated to the modified versions:

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Epilogue

Also I made this if it can be used for anything to promote the translation of the game. It was put together to make it look like the original text's ketchup and mustard colors. lol

-Thomas

hollowaytape

Post by hollowaytape » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:10 pm

These are looking great!! I am fiddling with them at the moment to get some glitchy artifacts to go away. The text is super clear though.

I do like those box art images, and I could definitely use them as promo images! I should mention that Kuoushi decided on a title for the translation a few days ago as well, drawing from the SNES version - E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution. Could you update those with this new title?

In other news, I'm having some unexpected success reinserting the super complicated title image once I process it a certain way. Here's the original title image, whenever you're ready to work on it. This one, too, should read:
E.V.O.
The Theory of Evolution

NightWolve

Post by NightWolve » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:56 pm

Tom keeping the fan translation dream alive... Atta boy! ;)

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:43 pm

Editing that title screen image took a bit of time, but it's finally complete! Hope it end up looking good in the game!

Original:

Edited:

Here are the updated promo art pics as well:

-Thomas

NightWolve

Post by NightWolve » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Hmm, something not quite right with the blue-haired girl's face... A little bit fugly almost.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I kind of like how the art is actually. A lot of "old school" anime art kind of resembles this simple look. Take the original Gundam and Macross character portraits for example. This is how she looks in the Super Nintendo version of the game.

-Thomas