File Format Hacking / Graphic Edits

An Action-RPG developed by Compile that plays like a combination of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) and Alundra (PSX) with an item drop system similar to Diablo. It's an incredible game that is full of adventure, secrets and items to discover, challenging puzzles to solve, platforming, you name it! It even has some bonuses such as an additional unlocked character and 500 floor dungeon/arena.
SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Re: File Format Hacking / Graphic Edits

Post by SkyeWelse » Sat May 16, 2015 3:05 am

It's not bad, though something about how some of the letters look bother me, like the "e". Not sure about the disconnecting "T's" either. The spacing is also perhaps a little too wide. Still, I can try it out on a few of them sometime to see how it looks, along with other choices that are recommended. I still haven't chosen a font for the town / area names, but there was one that I liked when I was working on the Zweii II project with tancients called Tooney Loons that had a very interesting thin font which seemed to fit these thinner kanji fonts pretty well.

In other news, I've decided not to use "Vinque" afterall. I discovered today that there are two English fonts used for graphics inside of Wander Wonder. There is one font which is most certainly "Schwabacher" for the actual logo for "Wander Wonder", but there is also another that has yet to be identified. It's quite strange because it is most assuredly a mix of a Celtic and Gothic font-type, but there just doesn't seem to be one out there close enough, except for one. This font, which was created from the Wild Arms I & II script font looks the closest to the other font being used in Wander Wonder's English texts, however the only one I could find is the pixelated version of the font called "Pixel Musketeer".

I've decided to be rather hardcore about this after looking for this font for hours today and just create the font myself using Pixel Musketeer as a basis. I'll be doing all Capital and Lowercased letters. We can then use that for at least the Story and Chapter graphics.

Edit: Finished the first 8 Capital Letters so far in recreating the Wander Wonder Font

-Thomas

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Mon May 25, 2015 10:55 am

Xalphenos wrote: Image
How did you annotate this graphic?

Xalphenos
Wanderer

Post by Xalphenos » Mon May 25, 2015 6:30 pm

I just used paint. I don't get too sophisticated when it comes to graphics.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Wed May 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Today I learned what the Wander Wonder font used in the graphics actually is. I was about finished with remaking the Capital letters when I noticed that the 3DS title of Sakura Samurai which was released in 2012, also used this font which re-prompted me to search for it again. I found a font-identification forum and within about an hour of posting they were able to identify the font as Ondine D.

New Screenshots (I take these by using a free / pay-for-premium software called Bandicam running a 640 x 480 window positioned in the left corner of the screen when launching the game using AppLocale. I can then hotkey screenshots and grab them when needed. No need to run DxWnd.

Also, I cleaned up the small black line that was near the 'O' in Orichalcum.

-Thomas

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:43 am

Tonight I more or less finished the Area Names in the telop.cnx graphic and started testing them in game. So far it looks passable for each area I've explored so far (most of them), but there may still be some tweaks to try out.

-Thomas

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:18 am

That weird transparency problem: Yep, sorry to say... but it's a problem between the keyboard and the chair.

First look above. See the transparency issues for "Shambahla Peak"?
Above the la, above the ea, and above the k

Check this out:
9.png
9.png (22.78 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
The "marching ants" are showing you here the transparent color (color 0). See how those regions are not of the transparent color? So there's your answer. If you change those areas to color "0", those problems should go away. It's worth a try, anyway.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 am

Thanks Flame. I'll be taking a look at it as soon as I am able to get my photoshop stuff reinstalled again. I should be able to start on all this in early August if all goes well.

-Thomas

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:08 am

Okay, so transparency issues aside, I've finished with the Location graphic as best I can possibly get it. I had to redo a lot if it again and I think I finally eliminated all of the artifacts that were surrounding the images. The graphics are as good as they can get, but I still see transparency happening rather, "bleeding" through all the blue colors with brightness of these pixels being completely determined by the background of which this location graphic overlays.

So... my thoughts are this. Is there a way that we could take a look at the finished telop.cnx file and see if there is something that at least shows the colors / transparency settings that we can change manually or via a python script or something? What I mean is, can we leave color 0 as 000000 with 00 transparency and leave colors 1-255 at their respective colors set to transparency FF (Solid).

The Finished BMP can be found here: http://retro-type.com/wander_wonder/graphics/telop.zip

That now leaves the following graphics that still need to be translated, edited, inserted and tested. Testing will probably involve whatever trick Xalphenos did for the Opening Graphic that was discussed earlier in this thread to increase the boundaries of the the default text/graphic boxes.

Using a program called Scanner & Translate for the iPhone I was able to dump what I believe are the correct Japanese characters for each of these graphics. I haven't had time to eyeball each individual kanji yet to make sure, but I thought it might help speed the process along some.

Chapter Graphics

Episode 1
冒険 の序章

Episode 2
新たな決意

Episode 3
遺志を継ぐ者

Episode ?
ティアの冒険

Story Progression Graphics

未だ数多くの遺跡が残されていると
冒険者達の間で有名なアトレウス地方

かつて冒険者であった祖父に憧れ
この地を訪れた少年がいた

少年の名は『ジノ ブローディア』
若干14歳の少年冒険者である

ジノの持つ石は、亡き祖父から託されたもので
かつてこの地に存在した伝説の古代文明の
存在を証明する物だという

その石が、エンシアの町で出会った少女
『ティア シャンティ』との出会いの最中
淡い光を放ちながら輝くのであった

そう、まるで何かの予兆のように…

その後、この地でいくつかの冒険を経たジノは、
祖父が石を見つけたと思われる遺跡を発見する

遺跡内を探索中、BEの全属生命体『ガーディアン』に
襲われながらも、何とかこれを撃破し
遺跡の最深部へとたどり着く

最深部でジノが見たものは、自分の持つ石と
非常に良く似た、巨大な宝石であった

その宝石は、自らの意志を持つかのように
ジノに対して激しい攻撃を加えてくる

激戦の末に宝石を破壊するジノ
しかし、遺跡は突如として崩れはじめる

何とか無事に脱出はしたものの、遺跡の入口は塞がれ
遺跡の中へは入れなくなってしまっていた

かくしてジノは、この地で冒険をしながら
遺跡へ入る方法を探す事を決意するのであった

そして、しばしの時が流れ 物語は再び動き出そうとしている…

未だ数多くの遺跡が残されていると
冒険者の間で有名なアトレウス地方

かつて冒険者であった祖父に憧れ
この地で冒険を続ける少年がいた

少年の名は『ジノ ブローディア』
若干14歳の少年冒険者である
ジノの持つ石は、亡き祖父から託された物で
かつてこの地に存在した伝説の古代文明の
存在を証明するものだという

この地でいくつかの冒険を経たジノは、
その石の事を知っている人物『ソロン』と出会う
彼は、かつての祖父の冒険仲間であったという
ソロンによって明かされた真実

それは、ジノの持つ石が、伝説の古代文明の金属
『オリハルコン』によって精製された物であり、
その文明は、謎の消滅を遂げたというものだった
自分の持つ不思議な石、そして古代文明消滅の謎を
解き明かすべく、さらなる冒険を続けるジノ

そして、砂漠の地下に埋もれた遺跡の奥で
ジノが目撃したものは、古代文明の技術によって
合成されたモンスター『クリーチャー』であった
激戦の末、クリーチャーを撃破したジノは、
古代文明の消滅の謎を追い求める決意を新たにする

その時、ジノの前に現れたソロンの従者『カノン』は
ジノを完膚なきまでに打ち倒し、こう告げるのだった

「本当に守りたいものがあるならば、もっと強くなれ」
ジノに告げられた、カノンの言葉の意味とは?

異変の影に見え隠れするマントの男の正体は?

そして、エンシアの町で出会った少女
『ティア·シャンティ』の不可解な行動
物語は終局へと向かっていく…

Title Screen / Menu Options?

遺志を継ぐ者
遺志を継ぐ者

-Thomas

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Translations:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

TLs need to be checked and edited before you can insert them.
We need to work on the technical side about length limits as well.

I'll post a help request at RHDN.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks very much for posting that help thread Flame. As soon as we can get those translations checked and approved, I'll get to work on those edits right away and start hopefully tag teaming the script with you so we can finish this project up! Thanks again for all your work on this. It's exciting to see that this may actually get a release soon.

-Thomas

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:03 am

Sorry for being slow on this.
This is me playing through the first bit of the game:

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:34 pm

Good proof of concept video Flame! I see you made some changes to the dialogue so far. I might make some changes as I play through the completed script build, but this is really impressive so far!

Some questions:

Have we figured out how to fix the spacing issue for item pickups? Cheapswordfound, for example.
How easy is it to add English to the Menus?
Did we ever hear back from a translation checker on the chapter graphics and story thus far graphics?

Thanks for showing this. Going to post it on Twitter.

-Thomas

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:12 pm

No idea how to fix.
をてに入れた was the original (no leading spaces). I added a single space for the translation and the result is as you see there. I could try adding several more spaces, like 3, and seeing how that looks. Or we could try putting "obtained" one line down from the name of the item you just got.

Never modified .exe before, but I could give it a try.

Help ad is here: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=helpads ... dsearch=Go