Script

A forum for the translation project of Ys vs Sora no Kiseki.
zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Script

Post by zeromonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 pm

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Re: Spreadsheets

Post by SkyeWelse » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:44 am

Very nice! So are these all of the story dialogue for the playable characters? It's been awhile since I last played the game. If I recall, you had many different characters to choose from in Versus and Practice modes, but only a few had Story modes. I could be wrong though.

-Thomas

zeromonkey

Post by zeromonkey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:54 pm

There is random bits of dialog spread all over the place. The game really is a mess behind the scenes. Dialog uses at least 4 different file types. Sometimes a bin file, text file, random weird file or whatever. These are the main story dialog in the order of appearance in the game for story mode. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of the jump problem Flame is working with me on. That was I can insert this stuff, if I can ever get it translated.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Did you count the total amount of script text?

zeromonkey

Post by zeromonkey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:28 am

I never did count the script text. I hadn't really thought about it. Still trying to locate that blasted jump when I get a chance to work on it. Sadly, it is probably one of the most important for the game because it has something to do with being given a choice. That is always when it crashes.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Okay, I translated about 400 lines in "items" today. Still a lot to go though, about 800 lines left.

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:38 am

Figured I should re-post this in the correct forum and delete my original...

Hi folks. I'm new here, but not exactly new to Falcom games or fan translations. This may seem a bit sudden, seeing as I've only just registered, but I've done some translation work on Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki that I wanted to share with the group.

I know most people probably aren't that interested in this game anymore, but I got the urge to translate something and decided I would do all of Estelle's scenario to start with and then see if I felt like continuing from there. I have edited the file into what I consider a "finalized" version now, so I am about as happy with it as I think I can be. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you see some kind of major error, though! I'd really like to make this the best it can be, and your feedback would be a massive help in making that happen.

Just to clarify: I opted to create my own separate file rather than write over the file that was linked earlier because I ended up going back over and re-editing sections that others already translated before me. I wanted to make sure it all had a cohesive writing style, but didn't want to just delete their work either. Here's the link to the file I've created. The permissions are only set up for viewing right now, but I can give higher access to those who need it if you just let me know:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

You'll also find some of my notes and observations here and there on things that I found difficult or needed more research into. In particular, Ys Seven happens to be the only Ys game that I've never beaten, so I feel like that may have hindered my ability to translate for anyone who's not Adol or Dogi. If I feel like people are happy with this one, then I'll probably move on to Kloe's scenario next. Thanks!

EDIT: One other slight caveat... I have not played this game with the translation patch that already exists, so I don't know how well what I've done here matches up with that.

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 am

Okay, so I've made some more progress and am ready to share a few more files. The Estelle file has been revised, and change points from the previous version are highlighted in yellow. There may be some that I've missed, but hopefully I've captured all of them.

Kloe's scenario is entirely translated and edited, and I've moved on to Geis now (only about four sheets in so far). I've also made some edits to the victory quotes from the initial translation patch in an effort to make the tone a bit more consistent with what I've done for the story modes and to correct a few minor errors. I'm still not completely satisfied with some of these, but maybe I'm just being overly nit-picky about my work. Anyway, here are the files:

Estelle's Story (Updated)

Kloe's Story

Victory Quotes

Hopefully Geis' story won't be too far behind. After that point, I'll focus on translating the small amount that's left in Adol and Tita's storylines; as well as re-editing my own work together with what's already done, and that should result in almost everything in the game finally being translated (minus some FMV text and the epilogues, which I plan to at least make available in a plain text file)!

As always, if you notice anything like grammatical errors, typos, etc. -- please, please, please let me know! I'm certainly not above making mistakes and in my haste to get this completed I could have easily missed some in the editing process. Thanks!

BrokenFantasy

Post by BrokenFantasy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 am

shawnji wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 am
Okay, so I've made some more progress and am ready to share a few more files. The Estelle file has been revised, and change points from the previous version are highlighted in yellow. There may be some that I've missed, but hopefully I've captured all of them.

Kloe's scenario is entirely translated and edited, and I've moved on to Geis now (only about four sheets in so far). I've also made some edits to the victory quotes from the initial translation patch in an effort to make the tone a bit more consistent with what I've done for the story modes and to correct a few minor errors. I'm still not completely satisfied with some of these, but maybe I'm just being overly nit-picky about my work. Anyway, here are the files:

Estelle's Story (Updated)

Kloe's Story

Victory Quotes

Hopefully Geis' story won't be too far behind. After that point, I'll focus on translating the small amount that's left in Adol and Tita's storylines; as well as re-editing my own work together with what's already done, and that should result in almost everything in the game finally being translated (minus some FMV text and the epilogues, which I plan to at least make available in a plain text file)!

As always, if you notice anything like grammatical errors, typos, etc. -- please, please, please let me know! I'm certainly not above making mistakes and in my haste to get this completed I could have easily missed some in the editing process. Thanks!
Hey.. I sent you a request for editing for Estelle's Story (Updated). This game looks pretty cool and I would like to assist with the proofreading in my spare time.

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Script

Post by flamethrower » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I've been working on this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =976734546

All script files in one sheet.
I think it's easier for keeping organized.
I changed the script format - the text codes are now in their own column.
Unfortunately most of the comments were lost - they're still available in old versions.
Estelle and Kloe are from shawji's versions above. And everyone else is based on the versions in the top post.

I also finished massaging Estelle and Kloe's stories.
There is a soft limit of 46 characters per line. Above that, and the text will render smaller to fit in the box. The more over the limit it is, the smaller the text will be. This is based on the length of the longest line in the box.
And there is a hard limit of 63 characters per line. More will crash the game.
To massage it, I moved text onto extra lines if available and evened out the lines.

Two things:
For Lloyd, we should call him a "detective", not an "investigator." Err. he should call himself a detective. This might impact everyone's story.
And Sieg's signature line from Trails in the Sky is Scree! I think this mostly impacts Kloe's story.

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm still working through Geis' storyline at the moment, but I've been very lazy for the last several days and didn't touch much of it since I got involved in doing other things around the house. I'm certain I'll have his part done before too much longer, but as far as using the new format, I'll probably just have to wait until I've gotten it finished and plug all the text in after the fact. I get lost in the mountain of tabs and it's easier for me to flip through with just one character. Plus, I like to use Excel's side-by-side feature to compare two storylines as I go along. No worries, though. Like I said, I'll plug everything into the new format after I get it done.

The character limit is a bit disheartening, but I suppose it can't be helped. I haven't gone over all of the massaging you did yet, but I kind of expect that Olivier's lines will end up being hit the worst. If you have to go over into other text boxes, that also means that the Japanese voice acting won't line up as well with what's currently on screen at any given moment. Oh well... I knew there would need to be certain sacrifices in order to make it work.

I'm totally good with the "Scree!" thing as I haven't played the English versions of the games, so if someone tells me, "This is how it is in the official version," I'm all for it. That's an easy fix too considering it's only a single line in Kloe's entire story (if memory serves correctly).

In Japanese, a detective is closer to 「探偵」or「刑事巡査」 than 「捜査官」, which is more like "investigator" or possibly "agent" (in the case of the FBI). To me, I think investigator is more accurate, but it's largely semantics and if people prefer detective then that's fine, since the difference between the two is negligible. In my head, when I hear "detective" I either think of a private detective who works on his own, or the stereotypical homicide detective from a show like Law & Order, which doesn't really gel with my image of Lloyd. But, like I said, it's mostly semantics. Let me know what you think and I'll modify things accordingly for anything I do moving forward.

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 pm

As I go over my scripts, I keep thinking that I really need to play through Ys Seven. Why'd that have to be the only one I never beat? The first pass of Geis' stuff is done, but I still need to sit down with the game and see it all in context so I can adjust it.

I don't even remember Ys VI at all, and lots of things in Geis' route have me questioning what the official XSeed translations use for certain things. I wonder about stuff like 「ガッシュ様」,「妖精ども」, along with plenty of other examples. Should I use "Master Geis?" "Lord Geis?" Just plain "Geis?" "Fairies?" "Sprites?" There's so many ways you could go with some of this stuff and too often I'm just straight-up clueless about the English versions, either because I've forgotten or I never played them...

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 am

Ys Seven is really fun. That should be all the reason you need.

I found normal to be challenging so that's what I'll recommend.

I think they have different personalities too. The water one is demure, the fire one is aggressive and the lightning one is in between or something like that.

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:15 am

flamethrower wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 am
I think they have different personalities too. The water one is demure, the fire one is aggressive and the lightning one is in between or something like that.
Yeah, I definitely get that from the Japanese; yet it's hard to convey in English given how short and quippy most of their dialogue is. I'll see what I can do with it, though.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:26 am

Geis' story has been put into the main sheet.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:04 pm

I made a copy of the script sheet; preta and shawnji have been given access:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zxbfZ ... JJOO5AqmNw

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 am

Hello all! I apologize that it took me so long to get around to this. I had trouble getting in the right mood to play through the game again in order to do my last series of edits; but here's Adol's fully re-translated story, ready for insertion into the main file.

Adol's Story