Brandish 2 Renewal Translation Project

Information regarding a current English Translation project for Brandish 2: Renewal for the NEC PC-98 Computer. Brandish 2: The Planet Buster was given an English Translation for the Super Famicom version, however the PC-98 has many extra areas that were not included in the SFC port and generally has a much superior FM soundtrack.
flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Brandish 2 Renewal Translation Project

Post by flamethrower » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:46 pm

He is asking about MAPXX.SPG.
All the plaques are 32 characters. You still can't exceed length limits so many lines will be too far to the left, but there's no harm in doing the best you can.
The "proper" number of leading spaces is (32 - len()) / 2, in other words 16 minus half the length.

For the shopkeeper names, the "proper" number of leading spaces is (24 - len()) / 2, in other words 12 minus half the length.
For the shopkeeper names, you will never have enough space to center them, so I would just fill up the left hand size with spaces until you're at the length limit.

I noticed you used some SJIS characters in your translations. That should be no problem, just keep in mind each one counts as 2 for the length.

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Well,I haven't really looked at the SPG files,but there quite a few NPC names in the SDT files as well.
br2-karl.JPG
br2-karl.JPG (54.98 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
Say this one for example,I inserted it manually on MAP05.SDT. These files are uncompressed,so you can just edit the KLB files directly.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Okay, that makes sense.
The names for the TALK files are in SDT, then.
Names for the SPG files are in the SPG files themselves. There are a lot of nonames like the scene narration and the plaques, which don't have a name.

Gu4n

Post by Gu4n » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Right. I'll start working on those MAPxx.SDT files then.

Another peculiarity the combination of strings:

So 扉に/"On the door" is loaded from somewhere else than the rest of the sentence. If we can rule out the possibility that the string "The Dark Words are unreadable" is ever used on its own, I can adjust it for "On the door" or "On the wall plaques" -- if that fits.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:51 pm

It should be easy to rule out.
"The Dark Words are unreadable" appears in MAP04.SPG. This text can only appear somewhere in Bellsdace B3 (or other SPG files where that text is also present). I'm pretty sure that door is the only place in Bellsdace B3.

I can't figure out where the 扉に is getting loaded from. There's a 扉 in MAP04.SDT. It's followed by a bunch of fullwidth spaces which leads me to believe that's not it. I used a searching tool attempting to find 扉に by itself and didn't find it. My asm hacking skills are weak so I can't look into it further.

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Those characters are coming from the same MAP04.SPG file. Don't pay attention the japanese characters,and look at the hex directly.

I'm guessing the pointer is wrong somehow?

Edit:

Well,the pointer is wrong...,sort of. I'm not familiar with the SPG files,so I don't know if there's a pointer table like in the other files.
However,the files have their own x86 code,which is responsible of loading that particular string.
I only had to increase the value by 4 and it seems to be done.We must watch out for other similar cases.
NP2_0000.png
NP2_0000.png (23.06 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
The value that must be edited is on MAP04.SPG at 0x4fd,just change 05 to 09.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:21 am

I made a mistake making the dumps. On '04', change cell A7 to 0x505 (which is -4 from its previous value). If you like, change available space to 38, and change the "original text" to 扉に暗黒文字が刻んであるが判読できない
The inserter for this only cares about the insert point and your new text. The rest of the columns are totally ignored.

Gu4n

Post by Gu4n » Sat May 28, 2016 9:15 pm

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I followed josejl's instructions and changed the value of MAP04.SPG. What do I do with the file next?

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Sat May 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Wow, 3 months have passed by quite quickly. I haven't done anything with Brandish 2 or 3 ,trying to fix Celceta PC is taking all my free time.

If I remember correctly,those strings were fixed length (was it 14 SJIS /28 ASCII characters?),and the files were uncompressed,you don't really need to do anything other than repacking the KLB files (in fact,I think you could have edited the KLB files directly).

Gu4n

Post by Gu4n » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:16 am

Thanks, it's fixed right now!

I spotted the ending in BR2PRG5.KLB. It's fairly short so I might as well work on this in the source directly, or do any of you foresee potential problems if I do see (with possible compression)?

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 am

Well,I can't see any compression there,but I think there might be some issues.

Will you be able to fit the english text in that space? I think I had to reallocate the text for the opening because there wasn't enough room.

Also, It's possible that ASCII text won't work there, like it happens on the opening.

Gu4n

Post by Gu4n » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:07 am

josejl wrote:Well,I can't see any compression there,but I think there might be some issues.

Will you be able to fit the english text in that space? I think I had to reallocate the text for the opening because there wasn't enough room.

Also, It's possible that ASCII text won't work there, like it happens on the opening.
In that case, I'll translate the lines in a Spreadsheet just to be sure.

Edit:
Added the ending and staff roll to the spreadsheet I shared with you before. Since you have the opening and the system messages inserted, I *think* we should have everything complete right now. We'll never know until we test in-game and discover Falcom crammed a random line in a random file, but the majority should be covered now. I've also made a number of adjustments to some of the wall plaques.

flamethrower
Programmer

Post by flamethrower » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:05 pm

Guan, can you post endgame save for testing purposes? Testing the ending I mean.
I didn't see the ending on YouTube either.

josejl
Programmer

Post by josejl » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:40 pm

I guess it's time for me to go back to this one.

I found some issues with some text pointers for the system messages in the SDT files and in BR2.BZH,but they seem to be solved for the most part. These pointers are all over BR2.BZH,so perhaps I'm still missing some,we'll have to check thoroughly.

So,let's see what my version is missing:
  • Insert ending and staff roll text.
  • Fix message speed on cutscenes.
  • NPC names on MAP.SDT files