Introducing Myself

Welcome to Heroes of Legend Translations!
shawnji

Introducing Myself

Post by shawnji » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 am

Hello all! I just realized I never got around to doing this, so I thought I'd go ahead and give you a little information about me.

I'm a 33 year old former stage actor... turned English teacher... turned Japanese interpreter. Yes, I've had a weird life. I currently work in the Japanese automotive industry, and I've been doing it for about three and a half years now (albeit from within the US). I'm always very hesitant to call myself fluent because I often run across words I've never encountered and I still struggle with some of the more unusual kanji; but I'm generally around the upper end of N2 level. Overall, my speaking ability has always been my greatest asset in finding work, and the rest is improving all the time.

I love the feeling of discovering obscure Japanese games, and around eight or nine years ago is when I first became a really big fan of Nihon Falcom in particular. Lately I've been really enamored with their PC-88 and PC-98 games, and would love to one day work on a translation of some of the more unique ones like Star Trader or Panorama Island.

I joined Heroes of Legend after randomly stumbling on the scripts flamethrower posted for Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki, and I decided it would be a good opportunity to work on my writing ability (something I don't get much of a chance to do at work, where I primarily deal with technical documents and the rest is all interpretation for meetings). I honestly don't have that much confidence in my ability to write dialogue in a captivating way that feels natural, so I sometimes get hung up on certain lines for way longer than I should. It's a learning process... (^_^; )

To date, I've only been part of one other completed fan translation project; which is The Legend of Valkyrie for the PC Engine. Unfortunately, I had to drastically parse down the original script I made for the game due to space limitations, but it's still a really fun game and I'm just happy that more people have had the opportunity to play it. I did work on another project a long time ago (when my Japanese was far worse), but I don't know what ever became of it.

Some of you may recognize me from the PC Engine FX forums, which I sadly haven't frequented in quite some time... My poor Duo has been neglected lately... :cry:

I'm really stoked to be here and I'm hoping I can offer something of value to the Falcom fan community through whatever support I can give in my free time.

It's very nice to meet all of you!

Other Fun Facts:
I can tap dance (no, really). Vagrant Story is my favorite game of all time. I listen to almost nothing but video game soundtracks. I was married for five years at one point. I am slowly becoming more and more anti-social as I age, and find it takes concentrated effort to get out and do things with *shudder* actual people. Even so, I still generally like everybody and go out of my way for people unless they do something really, really terrible to me (and even then I usually forgive them after a few days). I really like to sing and I did a few covers for some friends on my YouTube channel should you ever have a desire for bleeding eardrums. :P

flamethrower
Programmer

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by flamethrower » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm

I thought you might be an English major or something like that. No wonder you're so good at this!

I'm an Engineer. I got a D in English in college (As and Bs in high school because expectations are lower there). Creative writing is not my strong suit. I can knock down a line or two here or there but not most of them.

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:58 pm

I appreciate you saying that, but I don't feel like I'm nearly as good as I should be. :oops: I'm hoping to improve as time goes on, though.

Writing dialogue in a way that sounds natural is so ridiculously hard sometimes; especially when trying to remain faithful to the source material. I certainly wouldn't fault you for your writing ability. Lord knows I make constant mistakes all the time. ^^;

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Post by SkyeWelse » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 am

Welcome Shawnji! Good to see another PCE-FX Forum member here. That's another community that I sometimes visit, though not as often as I would like, especially nowadays.

Vagrant Story is one of my all time favorites as well. Good taste!

-Thomas

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 am

Thank you, sir! :D I hope to make myself useful around here, while hopefully not becoming a nuisance in the process. ^^;;

Yes! I've been in love with Vagrant Story ever since I picked it up at launch. Yasumi Matsuno has made some amazing games, man. I think Alexander O. Smith's translation was part of what really cemented it for me; and I had even more respect for both him and the game when I played through the Japanese version. It was one of the first games I can remember that actually drew my attention to the translation in a good way.

NightWolve

Post by NightWolve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Shawn, didn't you translate that Falcom store video for me so I could subtitle my publishing of it some time back on the PECFX forums ??

https://youtu.be/5_GGg5FFjt0

shawnji

Post by shawnji » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 am

Oh! Yeah, that was me! Although, I really didn't do much; just gave a little bit of supplemental text. ^^;

Man, that feels like such a long time ago, though... I really need to visit the boards over there again.