EBOOT Decryption and You

This is a place to post tech details and informative documents about romhacking PSP games.
flamethrower
Programmer

EBOOT Decryption and You

Post by flamethrower » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:22 am

Someone made a utility that decrypts EBOOTs: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1225/
I also made a program that can insert a file into an ISO on top of another one as long as there's enough space for it. Pretty bad limitation I know, I'll work on better versions going forward.

If you are a romhacker AND a translator, then probably your toolchain will end up being:
1) Extract & decrypt (manually)
2) Modify using a program or several
3) Insert using a program (still can't add new files that weren't originally there or files that there isn't enough space [LBAs] to add)

If you are a translator, the programmer will make for you the following toolchain:
*could also work for patch distribution, and could make it easier for mods if you want that*
1) Extract using a program
2) Decrypt the EBOOT
3) Modify using a program or several
4) Insert using a program (still can't add new files that weren't originally there or files that there isn't enough space [LBAs] to add)
--------------------------
Need to try using mkisofs for making the game images. You need to use the -xa option (CD-XA format, I'm not sure where that specification is actually); that's what your CFW PSP and emulators are expecting when loading games. mkisofs is a lot more powerful than any of the programs I've used so far, but you can't control the LBA where files end up, so that will need to be accounted for.