Edit PSPFONT.DAT

This is a place to post tech details and informative documents about romhacking PSP games.
zeromonkey
Hacker, script editor and control freak

Edit PSPFONT.DAT

Post by zeromonkey » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Sometimes you need to create custom tiles for something when you just don't have room to properly edit something the normal text replacement way. Most PSP games I have messed with have a PSPFONT.DAT file with plenty of space to create those tiles. Today I finally figured out the settings for using a program called CrystalTile2 to show them properly.
settings.png
settings.png (12.23 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
results.png
results.png (122.93 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
I wish I had more to say on this topic right now. But I don't. Basically, you just edit font with your new tiles and take note of their real position in the font table. Use those hex to insert where ever you need to in the game. Yep. That's it.

SkyeWelse
Graphics & Web Design

Re: Edit PSPFONT.DAT

Post by SkyeWelse » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Nice! If I am remembering correctly, I think I was able to get one of these PSP font files to open inside the program, High-Logic Font Creator at one point, but when I just tried it again I wasn't successful. I'm not sure, but it could have been a different file type. That would be the best way to edit these if it were possible since you would then be able to test the characters all on a line to see how far apart they are from each other.

-Thomas